Are you a students in New York City who could use some financial assistance for college? Look no further! We have compiled the ultimate list of scholarships available specifically for NYC students. From academic merit to financial need and even creative talents, there are scholarships out there waiting for YOU.
Don’t miss this opportunity to ease the burden of college expenses – check out our comprehensive guide today!
What are the criteria for each scholarship?
The criteria for each scholarship vary from program to program. Generally, it includes financial needs, academic achievement, and community involvement.
Here are some examples for Elaboration:
The criteria for the Scholarship for Excellence in Math and Science:
- Based mainly on academic performance in these subjects.
- Students must have a minimum GPA of 3.5 in math and science courses.
- Students must be planning to pursue a career in one of these fields.
The Community Service Scholarships
- Students who have demonstrated a commitment to giving back to their communities
- Services like volunteering, leadership roles, or other community involvement activities are encouraged.
- Students must submit an essay describing their experiences and why they deserve the scholarship.
The Financial Need-Based Scholarship:
- Students who demonstrate financial need as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Students must submit a copy of their FAFSA form and their scholarship application.
How to apply for each Scholarship?
Once you have found a list of scholarships you may be eligible for, the next step is applying for each. The process of applying for a scholarship can vary. It largely depends on the scholarship and the organization offering the scholarship.
However, there are some common steps that you will need to follow to apply for a scholarship.
- The first step is to gather all of the required materials. This can include transcripts, essays, letters of recommendation, and other required documents. Once you have all the required materials, you must fill out an application form. This form will ask questions about your personal information, academic background, and financial need.
- After completing the application form, you will need to submit it along with all the required materials. Make sure that you submit everything before the deadline so that your application can be considered.
- If you are awarded a scholarship, you will be notified by the organization offering the scholarship. You will then need to follow their instructions on how to claim your award and use it towards your education expenses.
The benefits of each scholarship
There are several scholarships available to students in New York City. Each comes with its own benefits, such as:
- The Excelsior Scholarship provides free tuition for students attending public colleges and universities in New York State.
- The Posse Foundation provides full-tuition scholarships for students who attend one of their partner colleges or universities. Posse also offers several support services to help scholars succeed in college and beyond.
- The Robin Hood Foundation provides need-based scholarships to students attending private colleges and universities in New York City. Scholarships are awarded based on financial need, academic merit, and community service.
- The Stokes Educational Leadership Fund provides need-based scholarships for students pursuing careers in education. Scholarships are awarded based on financial need, academic merit, and commitment to working in underserved communities.
Best practices for students when it comes to scholarships
There are a few best practices that students should remember when it comes to scholarships.
- Firstly, students should start the scholarship search early. The earlier you start searching, the more time you will have to find and apply for scholarships.
- Secondly, students should meet all eligibility requirements before applying for a scholarship. This includes having a minimum GPA, being of a certain age or level of study, and sometimes being a resident of New York City.
- Lastly, students should make sure to follow all instructions on the application carefully. This includes filling out the application completely and correctly and submitting any required materials, such as essays or transcripts.
By following these best practices, students will improve their chances of winning scholarships and being able to afford their education.
Scholarships for High School Students
High school students in New York City have a variety of scholarships available to them. There are scholarships for students who excel academically, athletically, and artistically. Scholarships are also available for students from specific backgrounds or interests.
Some of the most popular scholarships for high school students in New York City include:
- Merit Scholarship,
- the Athletic Scholarship,
- the Artistic Scholarship,
- the Legacy Scholarship.
Other popular scholarships for high school students in New York City include:
- The Diversity Scholarship,
- The Leadership Scholarship,
- and the Service Scholarship.
All of these follow specific standardised criteria. Whatever you fall into, you must apply straight away.
Scholarships for College Students
The cost of college is a significant barrier to entry for many students, especially those from low-income families. Several scholarships are available to help make college more affordable.
Here are just a few of the scholarships available to college students in New York City:
- The Excelsior Scholarship: This program provides free tuition for eligible students at SUNY and CUNY colleges. To be eligible, students must meet specific income requirements and be enrolled in an associate’s or bachelor’s degree program.
- The NYC Housing Authority Scholarship Program: This program provides up to $40,000 in scholarship money for NYC residents enrolled in an accredited college or university. To be eligible, students must complete the FAFSA and have a family income that falls within the NYCHA guidelines.
- The Pelagie M. Greenfield Scholarship Fund: This scholarship provides up to $5,000 per year for African-American women enrolled in an accredited four-year college or university. Students must have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher to be eligible.
Applying for scholarships can seem daunting, but with time and effort, it can pay off big time! Be sure to search for scholarships you may be eligible for, and don’t forget to apply early – many scholarships have deadlines that come up quickly!
Scholarships for Graduate Students
There are many scholarships for graduate students in New York City.
Some of the most popular scholarships include the Ford Foundation Fellowship, the Fulbright Scholarship, and the Rhodes Scholarship.
The Ford Foundation Fellowship is a prestigious scholarship that provides funding for graduate students pursuing a career in public service.
The Fulbright Scholarship is another highly competitive scholarship funding graduate students who want to study abroad.
The Rhodes Scholarship is highly competitive for graduate students who want to study at the University of Oxford in England.
Other popular scholarships for graduate students in New York City include:
- The Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Fellowship,
- The Marshall Scholarship,
- The Truman Scholarship.
These scholarships provide funding for graduate students pursuing a career in public service, education, or research.
Scholarships for Adult Learners
Many scholarships are available for adult learners who wish to pursue their education. The government offers some of these scholarships, while private organizations offer others.
These are as follows:
Federal Pell Grant:
This grant is offered to students who demonstrate financial need and have not yet earned a bachelor’s degree. The grant amount varies depending on the student’s financial situation, but it can be up to $5,920 annually.
New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP):
This program grants up to $5,165 per year to eligible students enrolled in an undergraduate or vocational program at a participating school. To be eligible for TAP, students must be residents of New York State and must demonstrate financial need.
The Adult Career and Continuing Education Services-Vocational Rehabilitation (ACCES-VR):
ACCES-VR provides services and support to individuals with disabilities to reach their employment goals. For more information about ACCES-VR and its services, visit their website or contact your local office.
Tips for Winning a Scholarship
- Start with your GPA, test scores, and extracurricular activities. These are the most critical factors in determining whether or not you’ll be awarded a scholarship.
- Don’t wait until the last minute to start applying for scholarships. The sooner you start, the better your chances of winning.
- make sure to follow all instructions when applying for scholarships. Oftentimes, students make careless mistakes that cost them their chance at winning.
- Keep your essay personal and unique to you. A panel of judges reads many scholarship essays, so it’s essential to stand out from the other applicants.
- When in doubt, ask for help! There are plenty of resources available to help you navigate the scholarship process. Don’t be afraid to reach out for assistance if you need it.
Scholarships are an incredible way to help offset the ever-increasing costs of higher education. Undoubtedly, they provide much-needed financial assistance, but they also offer something else: a chance to fulfil one’s dreams and aspirations.
With this list of scholarships for students in New York City, you can easily explore all the potential opportunities available to fund your educational journey. So don’t waste more time – apply now and make those dreams come true!
The Ultimate List of Scholarships for Students in New York City - Best News For New York City? ›
Steps to apply for the scholarship program: Write an essay of 500+ words on the topic “How Celebrities Influence Young People and Why it Matters” You must submit your essay on or before March 31st, 2023. All applications should be sent to email@example.com in a Word format only.How to get full scholarship in New York? ›
- Have graduated from high school.
- Study full time and be matriculated in an approved undergraduate program of study in a New York State post-secondary institution.
- Be in good academic standing.
- Not be in default on any guaranteed student loan administered by HESC.
- Be a U.S. citizen or qualifying non-citizen.
New York University Scholarships
- Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen, and Katz Scholarship.
- Helen and Martin Kimmel Scholarship.
- Barclays 9/11/01 Memorial Scholarship.
- Sol and Margaret Berger Foundation Scholarship.
- 9/11/01 Memorial Scholarship.
Steps to apply for the scholarship program: Write an essay of 500+ words on the topic “How Celebrities Influence Young People and Why it Matters” You must submit your essay on or before March 31st, 2023. All applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org in a Word format only.What is the name of the New York scholarship Program? ›
The Excelsior Scholarship provides tuition awards to eligible students attending New York State's public colleges and universities (SUNY and CUNY). This scholarship, in combination with other student financial aid programs, allows students to attend a SUNY college tuition-free.What is the easiest way to get a full scholarship? ›
- Start preparing early. ...
- Perform well academically. ...
- Take challenging classes. ...
- Excel in extracurricular activities. ...
- Apply for admission at multiple schools. ...
- Develop relationships with teachers and counselors. ...
- Submit a stellar application. ...
- Private scholarships.
The easiest way to maximize your chances of winning a scholarship is to pursue local scholarships that cater to your skills and needs. Try consulting with a community organization or school counselor to find out what opportunities might help fund your college education.What GPA do you need to get a full scholarship to NYU? ›
The award will cover up to the cost of tuition and is renewable over four years of undergraduate study at NYU. Students are expected to maintain a minimum GPA of 3.5 and must remain active in program activities.
Most graduate schools at the University require a minimum GPA of 3.0 for federal and institutional financial aid (2.0 for NYU College of Dentistry DDS and Advanced Standing students).Does NYU give full ride? ›
Does NYU give full financial aid? Yes, New York University offers a limited number of full scholarships each year. However, these awards are often based on financial need, rather than merit.
How to get free college in NYC? ›
Be pursuing an associate's or bachelor's degree. Attend school full time. Earn $125,000 or less (household federal adjusted gross income) Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) application.What is the Queen scholarship? ›
The Queen Elizabeth II Scholarship is a $20,000 scholarship awarded annually based on academic excellence to graduate and post-graduate students studying Saskatchewan politics and government at an accredited Saskatchewan university.Who is eligible for pride of NY scholarship? ›
The application is available through the University Honors College. Presidential scholars participate in the University Honors College and must maintain rigorous academic standards to retain their award. High-achieving first-year students (freshmen) from New York State are considered for Pride of New York Scholarships.What is the biggest scholarship in the US? ›
One of the largest scholarships, the Coca Cola Scholars Foundation program, is an achievement-based scholarship. The three areas evaluated are leadership, academics and service. Scholarships are awarded to graduating high school seniors planning to pursue a degree at an accredited US college or university.What is the New York Promise Grant? ›
New York State PROMISE was a federally sponsored research initiative focused on removing obstacles to adult success for youth who receive Supplemental Security Income. NYS PROMISE was vital because research has shown that youth who receive SSI typically do not successfully transition from high school to adulthood.What is Crown scholarship? ›
The Crown Scholarship is the College of Architecture's most prestigious and selective scholarship. The College of Architecture seeks incoming students with exceptional potential who will be challenged by the Illinois Tech curriculum to pursue a professional commitment to excellence in architecture.Is there a scholarship that covers everything? ›
A full-ride scholarship is a financial award that can be awarded based on academic performance, athletics, or other factors, and is designed to cover the entirety of your college degree.What is the hardest type of scholarship to get? ›
- Rhodes Scholarship.
- Fullbright Scholarship.
- Gates Cambridge Scholarship.
- Princeton Scholarship.
- Mitchell Scholarship.
- Churchill Scholarship.
- Marshall Scholarship.
- Jardine Scholarship.
What is a full ride scholarship? A full ride scholarship is an award that covers all expenses related with college. This includes tuition, books, fees, room and board, and possibly even living costs.Which scholarship gives most money? ›
National Means cum Merit Scholarship
A student can earn up to twelve thousand rupees per year. Every year, applications are accepted between August and October. A student must submit an online application through the National Scholarship Portal (NSP).
How do you find scholarships that almost nobody knows about? ›
Talk to your high school counselor. Use the Department of Labor's scholarship search tool to sort more than 8,000 opportunities for student aid. Inquire at the financial aid office at your college of choice. See if your employer or your parents' employers offer assistance.What is the highest GPA to get a scholarship? ›
Some scholarship committees only consider applicants whose GPA meets a certain threshold. Minimum requirements range from around 2.0 on the lower end to 3.75 or higher for competitive academic scholarships. Generally speaking, a 3.0 GPA or higher will give you a decent shot at qualifying for a variety of scholarships.How high does your GPA have to be to get a full scholarship to Harvard? ›
Recipients are chosen on the basis of financial need and academic merit. Scholarship applicants must have a cumulative grade-point average of 3.33 or higher. See important information about enrollment status for Special Students in Enrollment Considerations.How many credits is considered full-time for fafsa? ›
A college student is considered to be enrolled on a full-time basis for student financial aid purposes if they are enrolled for at least 12 credits a semester.Can you get a full scholarship with low GPA? ›
There are also numerous scholarships that have no minimum grade point average requirements and are open to all students. Furthermore, there are 2.0 GPA scholarships that are open to any undergraduate, graduate student, or even high school students who wants to apply so they can attend their accredited college.Can a 3.5 GPA get a scholarship? ›
For example, a college may distribute an academic or merit-based scholarship to students who receive a 3.5 GPA or higher. Earning a high GPA can often help increase your likelihood of receiving a robust scholarship.Can a low income student go to NYU? ›
Since 1969, HEOP has been integral to NYU's commitment to a diverse student body. Our program provides a means for traditionally underserved, low-income New York State students to obtain admission as well as academic and financial support.How much does it cost to go to NYU with a scholarship? ›
New York University costs $37,739 after scholarships and grants, with an average aid package of $59,903. Financial aid applications are due February 15.Does NYU give free rides? ›
Getting Around NYU
Download the Safe NYU app to request a Safe Ride during operating hours, and access real-time bus locations and estimated shuttle times powered by Passio GO! This service is free for students with a valid NYU ID.
To get a scholarship to NYU, one should have high GPA and test scores, meaningful extracurriculars, and convincing personal essays. Taking advanced classes, demonstrating financial need, applying to programs with high funding, enrolling full-time, and taking at least 12 credits are recommended, too.
What is the income limit for free college in NY? ›
For the 2022-23 academic year, families who earned $125,000 or less in the tax year 2020 are eligible to apply.What happens if you get a scholarship and don t go to college? ›
Many times if the student has not enrolled in classes during those 12 months, it expires. In almost all cases, scholarships are put directly towards your college's tuition and expenses, rather than a check sent to you. If you choose not to go to school, it will not be put in a savings account for later use.Is NYU free for everyone? ›
We award Full-Tuition Scholarships to all current students and future matriculated students, regardless of merit or financial need, that cover the majority of the cost of attendance, provided each student maintains satisfactory academic progress in accordance with NYU Grossman School of Medicine's Satisfactory Academic ...What is the Oprah Winfrey scholarship? ›
The Oprah Winfrey Leaders Scholarship (OWLS) program supports academically gifted students who demonstrate leadership in their communities. The scholarship awards students with educational support to become future leaders.What is the Dream scholarship? ›
TheDream.US National Scholarship Program is for undocumented students who are eligible for in-state tuition at one of our National Partner Colleges. This scholarship is for up to $16,500 for an associate's or up to $33,000 for a bachelor's degree at one of our National Partner Colleges.What is a royal grant? ›
A royal charter is a formal grant issued by a monarch under royal prerogative as letters patent.Who is eligible for 5 strong scholarship? ›
Reside in the Atlanta, GA metropolitan area (Fulton County and surrounding counties) Be a current-year graduating high school senior. Demonstrate the potential to be a leader in the classroom and on campus. Have earned a GPA of at least 3.0 (Some HBCU Partners have higher GPA Requirements)
There are primarily two kinds of scholarships: private and institutional.Who gets the Purple and Gold scholarship? ›
The Purple & Gold Scholarship is awarded to U.S. students (U.S. citizens, permanent residents, refugees and undocumented residents) who are not residents of Washington state. Amounts vary by recipient, are given for four years and may be used only for the Seattle campus.What are the two most common scholarships? ›
Common types of scholarships for college are merit-based scholarships, need-based scholarships, and athletic scholarships.
How much money does the Bill Gates scholarship give you? ›
The Gates Millennium Scholars Program is another Gates minority scholarship. The program grants an average of $12,785 to 1,000 annually-selected scholars.How much scholarship money do most students get? ›
The average institutional scholarship award is $6,335. About four in 10 scholarship recipients received funds from their state, with an average award of over $2,362.Who is eligible for Promise grant? ›
Be classified as a resident of California or be a classified as a non-California resident eligible for tuition exemption AB 540 or AB 1899 (by Admissions and Records), have a "T" or "U" visa., or be a have a homeless youth determination from the Financial Aid Office at your college.What is New York's Excelsior Scholarship? ›
The Excelsior Scholarship provides tuition awards to eligible students attending New York State's public colleges and universities (SUNY and CUNY). This scholarship, in combination with other student financial aid programs, allows students to attend a SUNY college tuition-free.Who gets the promise grant? ›
The California College Promise Grant (CCPG) is a waiver applied to enrollment fees (currently $46 per unit) for California resident students, AB540 students and eligible AB1899 students as determined by Enrollment Services.What is a VIP scholarship? ›
VIPS is a partnership between UCLA and the Los Angeles and Pasadena school districts that prepares historically underrepresented students in 11 high schools to become competitively eligible for admission to UCLA and other flagship universities, and to encourage pursuit of graduate and professional education using a ...What is a golden scholarship? ›
The Golden Scholars program is an admissions pathway for select first-generation students from under-represented backgrounds.What is Silver scholarship? ›
Name of Scholarship: Honor Society Silver Level Membership Scholarship. Description: This scholarship seeks to reward an ambitious Honor Society student who has performed at a superior rate both academically and holistically. In addition to academic excellence, you must be a current Silver Level Member.Can I get a full scholarship to NYU? ›
Does NYU give full financial aid? Yes, New York University offers a limited number of full scholarships each year. However, these awards are often based on financial need, rather than merit.What GPA do you need for scholarship York? ›
Scholarships are merit based and recognize exceptional talent/promise or academic excellence as defined by: A minimum grade of 80% for students entering from secondary school; or. A minimum undergraduate grade point average of 7.5; or. A minimum A average for graduate studies; or.
What are the chances of getting a full scholarship USA? ›
The largest federal scholarship is Pell Grant, providing financial aid to 7.5 million students. 16% of students will receive a state scholarship, while 13% will receive a private scholarship. 7% of students are likely to receive a scholarship. Only 1.5% of students will receive a full scholarship.Does New York University offer fully funded scholarships? ›
As an international student in a graduate program, living abroad can be quite costly if you don't prepare for your expenses. This is why fully funded scholarships like Graduate Assistantships are available at the New York University for qualified students.
The downside is that not many student-athletes actually get full ride scholarships. They are pretty rare, and not all schools offer this type of financial award. So, what can you do to increase your odds? Check out our tips below so you can create a plan that will maximize your chances.What GPA do you need to get into NYU? ›
Most students admitted to NYU have an unweighted GPA of 3.7 or above, so you'll need to have at least a 3.7 to be seriously evaluated. To meet the NYU GPA requirements, you'll have to score primarily A's and A-'s on your high school courses.What is the minimum GPA for most scholarships? ›
Some scholarship committees only consider applicants whose GPA meets a certain threshold. Minimum requirements range from around 2.0 on the lower end to 3.75 or higher for competitive academic scholarships. Generally speaking, a 3.0 GPA or higher will give you a decent shot at qualifying for a variety of scholarships.Do I qualify for free college NY? ›
Be pursuing an associate's or bachelor's degree. Attend school full time. Earn $125,000 or less (household federal adjusted gross income) Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) application.How high does your GPA have to be to get a full scholarship? ›
A 4.0 Grade Point Average is not only a high GPA, it's an impressive GPA that's sure to catch the eyes of many scholarship providers. Since the minimum GPA for a full-ride scholarship is usually set at 3.5, a 4.0 is sure to always be above and beyond what's required.How much money do most scholarships give? ›
The average institutional scholarship award is $6,335.Who is most likely to get a scholarship? ›
Chances Of Getting Scholarship
Black students are the most likely to win a scholarship at 11.4%. This is followed by Asian students at 10.5% and Hispanic students at 9.1%. What about income? Students from middle-income families receive 13.8% of scholarships compared with 10.6% of lower-income families.
As the latest scholarship statistics reflect, entering a four-year private nonprofit institution gives students the highest chance of being awarded a scholarship. At 62%, students from private for-profit institutions are the most likely to receive grants from the federal government (Hanson, 2021).
How do I find a fully funded scholarship? ›
- Know where to look. ...
- Prepare in advance. ...
- Work hard and keep motivated. ...
- Make yourself stand out from other applicants. ...
- Read the application instructions carefully. ...
- Submit an exceptional scholarship essay or cover letter. ...
- Be realistic.
That depends on the scholarship. The money might go directly to your college, where it will be applied to any tuition, fees, or other amounts you owe, and then any leftover funds given to you. Or it might be sent directly to you in a check.